Out of all the websites I’ve designed over the years, this is currently my favourite. The original design at the time was a quick 15-minute concept in Photoshop. After a couple months, I decided to code it, and because it was such a large multi-page site I made it in Joomla. None of this was done with prior permission from the school, however multiple teachers (and, later, the principal) all praised my design.
This was not a small undertaking. All the visual elements of the webpages, and majority of the layout, are all made by me – either in code or using Photoshop. Most of the pages are formatted as they were on the official site at the time, however pages that I believed needed to be in better places (including putting the FAQ into ‘Contact Us’) and pages that I believed needed to exist (About Our School -> Houses, which I never really needed to finish) all had their designs built along with the rest of the site.
Some key design points relevant to this website;
- The pages are never limited vertically – they can go as long as they need to be to fit the content
- The backend, being Joomla, makes it extremely easy to add/edit Newsletters, announcements, news articles, and pages
- The Contact Us -> Contacts page fits all important people in a neat grid – making it easier to find staff by face rather than simply by name or position
- The same goes for Contact Us -> FAQ, all the questions are neatly listed and can easily be sorted through
- Pages like For Students -> Moodle are framed to keep the layout consistent across sites
- For Parents -> Uniform took a while, as I actually had to extract the information from a PDF – it’s always better to keep information neatly inline instead of linking to an external file
- For Parents -> Transport and For Students -> Form Downloads make it easy for users to check which forms they need and get a local copy for themselves to print out and hand in when required
You can read more about the design and elements I never got around to building/improving here.
I have mixed feelings about this website. I’m happy with the design itself, but I feel I made the wrong decision when I chose to make it 100% width, as it looks strange at larger resolutions. The goal was simplicity and usability, which I achieved. The colour scheme was chosen by the client, and I feel that it works.